Posted by Miss W. on February 23, 2010
Miss W. created a blog for me. I received an email at school from edublogs which gave me my username and a funny looking password.
So what do I do now?
- As you are at our middle school blog, just right click on your name on the left sidebar and open in a new tab.
- Look down the right sidebar to the Meta area and click on ‘Log in’
- If you have a blog from last year and do not have a Meta widget, then after your URL type /wp-admin
- This will now open to a log in area, where you put in your username and the password that is in your email. I suggest your copy and paste the password exactly. Untick the remember me box as lots of other students use your school computer.
- If you have forgotten your password from last year, then put in your school email address or your blog username and ask for a new password. Check your email then go back to step 1.
- If this worked, you will now be in to the dashboard of your blog.
The dashboard is where you do all your blogging work. But so you can login very easily without having to copy that password each time, you need to do the following things using the left-hand sidebar:
Change password: Click on users> your profile
Put in your first name, nickname ( be sensible and internet safe with choice of nickname), password (something you can remember easily – maybe same as school password), same password a second time, then finally update profile button. When that has updated go back in and choose from drop down link for display name publicly as. Update profile button again.
Change name of your blog: Settings > general
Change your blog title and tagline – again be internet safe in what you choose. Make sure timezone is Tasmania and choose how you want dates and times to show on your blog. Finally save changes button.
Notification of comments: Settings > discussion
Tick the following boxes: all default article settings; other comments – boxes 1, 4 and 5; before a comment appears – box 1. If you are going to visit your blog dashboard regularly then you might not need an email sent otherwise click the email me when comment held for moderation.
Further down the page under avatars – show avatars, G rating, then choose what avatar will appear if a reader has not created their own. Finally save changes button.
Changing the theme of your blog: Appearance > themes
Only click on preview if you want to see what it will look like, activate when you have decided definitely on that theme. You can change your theme as often as you like as you are a moderator of your blog. Do you want 1 or 2 sidebars on your blog?
Widgets you must have: Appearance > widgets
You must have the following widgets: Blog avatar, pages, recent comments, recent posts, links, categories, Meta
Next post will be to add your about page and create your own avatar.