Posted by Miss W. on February 16, 2011
For the first lesson in ICT this year, Mr Clark and Miss Wyatt would like all students, even if you have a blog already, to complete the following things:
Activity 1: Change your email signature.
Log onto your computer. Then from the school intranet page, right click,open email in a new tab. Change your signature by click on options> edit your signature> make it look like this
John Doe – your name
6/7H Mrs Stag – your class and home group teacher’s name
then save and close twice.
Activity 2: Create an ICT folder on your home drive.
Click on start icon on bottom left corner> click on computer> double click on own network drive> right click then open ‘New’> Folder>name folder as ICT2011
Activity 3: How to open a new document
From inside your ICT2011 folder> right click on new>choose now which type of document you will be using eg Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, Excel
To rename actually open the document, now go to top left Office button>save as whatever you will call your document.
Activity 4: Create an ‘about page’ that will be put in your blog later.
Check out these student about pages. Notice they have been aware of internet safety – not mentioned surname, school, town they live in, email address
- Teegan from New Zealand age 10
- Katy from USA age 12
- Anna from Australia age 11
- Daniel from Australia age 11
- Alanna from Australia age 11
- Georgia from Australia age 11
Open a Word document, rename as an “About Page” for you to use in your blog when you have one. Remember every three or so minutes to save your work. When you have completely finished your ‘About’ page activity, save your document.
Write your own ‘About’ page or if you already have one, update your ‘About’ page in your blog.
Activity 5: Email your document to your ICT teacher
- Open a new email.
- In To box, put in your ICT teacher’s email address. Students in 6/7A or 6/7B, please add Miss Wyatt’s email address too.
- In Subject box, put my about page.
- In the body of the email, mention what you are sending your teacher.Also include a sentence asking for a blog to be created or telling your ICT teacher that you already have a blog. eg
- Hi Miss W, I am sending you my about page. Could you please create me a blog to start using next week? Thank you.
- In icons, find the paperclip and click, choose your file to attach by clicking on browse, (go to folder and find your document), click attach, then close.
- On your email, you should now see an attachment underlined, click send.
Activity 6: Change our ‘Kids in the Mid’ about page
Look at these class blogs ‘About’ pages. What do you think would need to be included in our ‘About’ page for ‘Kids in the Mid’ to represent us in 2011?
- LMS Eagles – grade 6 social studies
- Mr Miller - grade 6 class
- Mr Carson – Canada
- Mr Carmichael - Canada
- Miss T - New Zealand
Leave a comment at the end of this post telling us three things we should include in our ‘About’ page for Kids in the Mid.
WOW!! Did you get this all completed in your first 90 minute double lesson? If you didn’t you can still do some of the things from a computer at home – writing comments on blogs, visiting other blogs that are hyperlinked.
Remember you need to get your parents to leave a comment on the page in the header ‘Welcome to 2011′ Make sure mum and/or dad don’t use their surname instead they sign in as
- Mum of John in 6/7B
- Dad of Sally in 6/7D
Once Miss Wyatt receives your email asking for a blog to be created, you should get an email from Edublogs within a few days. Make sure you keep that email so you can follow instructions for next week’s lesson.
Extra activities to do
- Go to the student blogging challenge and register your blog for the challenge. You must have your own blog to register as a student. You can register next week as well once your blog has been created.
- Leave a comment on our previous post about what you did during your holidays.
- Think about some topics you can write about for your first posts in your blog. If you are a student in your second year of ICT with Miss W, then what type of passion blog will you create? Check some of them out on the left sidebar of this blog. Remember you can create a passion blog with some friends in other classes as well – check out the cricket blog run by Daniel, Braydon, David and Liam.
- Go to the list of students taking part in the blogging challenge. Visit some of their blogs and leave some comments.