Kids in the Mid

Using technology in our middle school

• Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

• Our visitors

• Our categories

• Free Rice Link

Play Freerice and feed the hungry
  • Recent Comments

• My shelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Share a book review on Shelfari, where this reader meets fellow readers.

• Internet Polyglotif (WIDGETBOX) WIDGETBOX.renderWidget('0b8f0501-f0cb-4bca-84b4-7a9bee84d4dd');
    Get the Random Multilanguage Word Of The Day widget and many other great free widgets at Widgetbox! Not seeing a widget? (More info)
  • Listen to this

AC_Voki_Embed(180,267,"ac2440b107025cd76451f4394861a86a",2654752, 1, "", 0);
    Get a Voki now!

• Previous visitors

sormid67.edublogs.org-2009-05-08_to_2010-05-09
  • Find this blog in the education blogs directory

Week 2 – Start writing

Posted by Miss W. on February 19, 2012

Your first week activities included:

• creating an email signature
  • learning how to create folders and documents on your school computer hard drive
  • looking at student about pages and creating yours on Word
  • attaching your Word document to an email asking for a blog to be created for you to use and sending it to your teacher

Now let’s head into week 2 of our  basic blogging activities.

Activity 1: Learning to log in to my dashboard

Miss W. created a username for me. I received an email at school from Edublogs which gave me my username and a funny looking password.  So what do I do now?

• Go to Edublogs and log in using the username and password in your letter.
  • I suggest you copy and paste the password exactly. Untick the remember me box as lots of other students use your school computer.
  • If you have forgotten your password from last year, then put in your blog username  and ask for a new password. Check your email and follow their instructions.

Activity 2: Change some of the major settings.

The dashboard is where you do all your blogging work.  But so you can login very easily without having to copy that password each time, you need to do the following things using the left-hand sidebar:

Change password: Click on users> your profile

Put in your first name, nickname ( be sensible and internet safe with choice of nickname), password (something you can remember easily – maybe same as school password), same password a second time, then finally update profile button. When that has updated go back in and choose from drop down link for display name publicly as. Update profile button again.

Activity 3: Your teacher will change these settings for your class blog after some discussion with the students.

Change name of your blog: Settings > general – discuss first

Change your blog title and tagline – again be internet safe in what you choose. Make sure timezone is Hobart and choose how you want dates and times to show on your blog. Finally save changes button.

Notification of comments: Settings > discussion

Tick the following boxes: all default article settings; other comments – boxes 1, 4 and 5;  before a comment appears – box 1.  If you are going to visit your blog dashboard regularly then you might not need an email sent otherwise click the email me when comment held for moderation.

Further down the page under avatars – show avatars, G rating, then choose what avatar will appear if a reader has not created their own. Finally save changes button.

Changing the theme of your blog: Appearance > themes – discuss first

Only click on preview if you want to see what it will look like, activate when you have decided definitely on that theme. You can change your theme as often as you like as you are a moderator of your blog. Do you want 1 or 2 sidebars on your blog? Once you have personalized your blog and published lots of posts, you will be able to ask your teacher to upgrade your blog – you will then have about 100 themes to choose from.

Widgets you must have: Appearance > widgets

You must have the following widgets: Blog avatar, pages, recent comments, recent posts, links, categories, archives, Meta

Activity 3: Editing our class ‘About’ page in the blog – discuss first

Your teacher will do this for the class blog. Go to your blog dashboard. Click on the arrow next to pages. Click on ‘All pages’.  Hover under ‘Sample Page’ and click on edit. Delete what is already in the white body of your page.  Click on the kitchen sink icon, to allow more options like pasting in a word document and changing colour of your fonts.

Discuss as a class what should be included in this page for all the world to see.  You can also change the title of the page eg All about us

When you have finished creating the ‘About’ page, click on blue button on the right ‘Update page’

Activity 4: Writing my first post

So that your readers get to know something interesting about you, your teachers want you to write a post titled’ 8 random facts about me’.  Check out these posts by students in other schools – Amber, Mrs Daugherty’s grade 5 students, another Amber

Make sure you read the comments on Mrs Daugherty’s class blog as her students have left lots of random facts that might give you some great ideas for your post.

To write your post, go to your dashboard, click on arrow next to post, add new, type in a title for your post and write the body of your post. Make sure your work is in sentences, paragraphs, if words need capital letters you have used them such as I or a person’s name. Tick the category “About us” .When finished click the Publish or review button.

Activity 5: Leaving a quality comment

As a class we will visit this blog and watch video created by some grade 3 students with their teacher. What do they expect if you leave a comment on their blog? What are you going to accept as a comment on your blog?

Extra activities to do

1. Leave a comment on a post on Mr Devil, Image a Day, Read all about it, DownUnder Squirrel.
  2. Go to the list of students who are taking part in the March 2012  blogging challenge. Visit some of their blogs and leave some comments.
  3. Visit the blogs of some of our students and leave some great comments.

Next lesson will be creating your avatar.

Image: ‘Keep up and blog on

4 Responses to “Week 2 – Start writing”

1.   annale Says:

annale,
    your blog is so useful
    keep it up!:)

2.   brantw6le Says:

Hello Kids in the Mid, Im from the United States and I was wondering In you country what is your weather like? In the summer, spring, winter, and the fall. I am very anxious to hear from you. And Happy Blogging!

3.   Alexis Says:

Hi my name is Alexis .I live in st.lous I am 10 yrs of age.I get out of school at 3:50.We have 15minutes to eat for lunch.And we have about 15 min to play out side.How much time do you get ?.

sincerly,
    Alexis

4.   Milana Says:

Hey Kids in the Mid!!
    My name is Milana and I am from Canada. I have always loved your counrty!! Koalas, kangaroos, the Great Coral Reef, I love it all!! Is your counrty as great as it sounds?